Seven tips for making the most of an open day, Paige Alexandra Terry
BA Business Management Student at UWTSD
Uni can be a daunting experience, for anyone, but trust me when I say it’s the best experience you’ll ever have.
I knew from just one day that UWTSD Carmarthen was for me.
That day was an open day! These are days when prospective students can come and see what the university is like and as for me, I was sold on Trinity.
Below I have some top tips for you, our prospective and maybe even future students, about our Open Days!
- Book to come. Even if you’re not sure, book and come along and see what we have to offer you. You don’t have to come first thing in the morning either so come along at a time that suits you.
- Come with an open mind. You may be on the fence about university or deciding where to go but you may see or experience something at an open day that changes your mind.
- Don’t hesitate to ask anything and everything. The lecturers, staff and students are here for any questions you may have, so don’t be afraid to ask about your course, accommodation or extracurricular activities. We will do our utmost to make sure you leave with all questions answered.
- Try the food. Try the campus restaurant so you can decide when it comes to accommodation if you’d like to be catered for or not. The decision is yours to make.
- Go on the campus tours. If you’re like me back when I was a prospective student and couldn’t decide which accommodation you’d like to choose, go on the campus tours and take it all in. See what other little study nooks you can find as well. They’ll come in handy in exam season or if you have an assignment due and what some time alone to do it.
- Speak to your future professors. Should you need any help through the course of your time at university, building a rapport with your professors can benefit you if you’re anxious to ask for help.
- Most of all? HAVE FUN! This day is about you, so don’t be afraid to bring your friends, your family, anyone and make a day of it. See what Carmarthen has to offer outside of the university campus. See what you can do outside of your studies, like paintballing, canoeing, running, local music gigs, comedy shows and much, much more.
I hope these few tips helped. I can’t wait to meet you all at the open days, look out for the student ambassadors in our bright yellow tops (we’re pretty hard to miss!) and if you need anything just ask. If you have any questions feel free to add my UWTSD Facebook:
Or follow me on Twitter:
See you soon guys!